Kunststofftechnik Paderborn offers a comprehensive range of services. The offer ranges from competent, technical consulting for processes from extrusion, injection molding and joining technology, the support and implementation of projects in the field of plastics processing to the design of screw machines and laboratory analyses. In addition, we offer individually tailored training courses.
- Process engineering design of screw machines
For interested companies, Kunststofftechnik Paderborn offers the process engineering design of screw machines with the help of the in-house software REX/PSI and SIGMA. In addition to the new design of screw machines according to the customer's requirements, existing processes can also be recalculated and geometric as well as process-technical parameters can be optimized. For this purpose, material measurements are also offered so that the design can be carried out with realistic data.
Furthermore, a scale-up / scale-down of existing screw machines can be carried out so that an already functional process can be transferred to a different screw diameter. By this procedure, a screw catalog can be created on customer request, which represents different sizes of a screw machine series with the desired process characteristics.
In addition, the design / optimization of a screw machine includes the preparation of a report, which contains the initial situation, the design, the results as well as a summary.
- Implementation of small projects
For individual questions in the field of plastics technology, we offer the implementation of small projects. These can be investigations in our laboratory with a small or larger test scope, simulations, feasibility studies, sampling or special developments (e.g. for injection molds).
In the field of welding as well as in extrusion or injection molding, we can carry out experimental investigations or develop and set up new processes thanks to our extensive plant technology. Our welding laboratory reproduces all common welding processes so that a process comparison can be carried out for a specific application.
Novel mold concepts and special injection molding processes have been an integral part of the research portfolio at Kunststofftechnik Paderborn for years. Here, too, we are available as a contact partner to support new developments.
Frequently, the application for public funds offers itself for more extensive projects. We are available as a research center for bi- or multilateral projects and support the preparation of the application documents and the selection of the funding body.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
- Technical consulting
Due to many years of research activity in plastics technology, we are able to offer competent consulting for numerous issues. In addition to the usual processing methods of extrusion extrusion (single screw and twin screw) and injection Molding, we have been involved for years in the development of special processes, the processing and recycling of fiber composites, the integration of joining processes into the injection molding process and, last but not least, the joining methods of welding, bonding and mechanical joining.
We are happy to provide consulting support for:
- Evaluation of processing procedures
- Process design of screw machines
- Comparative evaluation of processes for a specifc application
- Analysis of damage
Often, technical consulting is accompanied by examinations and analyses in our laboratories.
- Project planning of injection molded products
In addition to a scientific approach to the development of injection molded products, experience and a network of suppliers are very important. In cooperation with an experienced engineer who has worked for many years as a project manager for development projects in the field of injection molded products, we offer you a complete package for the entire project planning.
- constructive design and material selection of the injection molded product
- economic feasibility study
- Rough design of the injection mold
- Coordination of mold production with appropriate suppliers
We are at your disposal as a research center and put your project on the right track.
- Individual trainings
Kunststofftechnik Paderborn offers interested companies training courses for the further education and training of their employees in the field of plastics technology. Together with the company, a concept for the training is developed, which is tailored to the needs of the employees. Thus, the technical sales department is trained differently from the machine operator or the process developer in terms of the content and depth of the topics.
The scope of the training can vary between one or even several days. We are happy to combine theory with an integrated practical part, which takes place in the laboratories of Kunststofftechnik Paderborn.
Possible topics for training courses can be:
- Materials science of plastics
- Basics of extrusion technology
- Design of screw machines with REX/PSI or SIGMA software
- Basics of plastics joining technology
- Bonding of plastics
- Welding of plastics (basics, welding processes, design of welding processes,...)
- Basics of injection molding technology
- Special injection molding processes
- Basics of rubber technology
- Basics of rubber processing
- Fiber composite plastics
- Design of Experiments
We respond to the ideas of the companies and integrate special topics into the training on request.
- Individual software solutions
In addition to the further development of our in-house software products REX/PSI and SIGMA for the design of screw machines, we also offer individual software solutions for industrial companies. These can be design tools for tools or plastic products, calculation programs for processing operations or the programming of interfaces.
Due to the extensive equipment of the laboratories, Kunststofftechnik Paderborn is able to offer numerous test methods according to the common standards. An excerpt from our portfolio can be found under the following points. Furthermore, it is possible to develop an individual test methodology for your problem.
- Physical test methods
- Buoyancy method (DIN EN ISO 1183)
- Bulk density determination (DIN EN ISO 60)
- Density determination of plastic metls with high pressure capillary rheometer (pvT)
Surface condition with different probes (DIN EN ISO 4287)
- Roughness, waviness, sink marks, scores, elevations
- Sieve and wet sieve analysis (DIN 53477)
- Moisture determination (CaH2-Methode)
- Moisture determination (Karl-Fischer-Titration)
- Stress crack analysis (PC, PMMA, PS, ASA, ABS, SAN)
- Determination of particle size distribution of carbon black particles in rubber compounds by means of a Disper-Tester
- Mechanical test methods
Bending test (DIN EN ISO 178)
- Three-point and four-point loading with electr. force and deflection measurement, force-deflection diagram incl. bending modulus (-80° to 250° C) up to 10 kN
Tensile test (DIN EN ISO 527)
- Force measuring range 0-1 kN, 0-5 kN, 0-10 kN, 0-50 kN, elastic modulus determination, incl. fine and coarse extension measuring device, electronic extension and force measurement, stress-strain diagram incl. tensile modulus (-80° to 250° C) up to 10 kN, transverse contraction number
- Nitrogen cooling of the tempering chamber from -80 °C to room temperature
- Heating of the temperature chamber from room temperature to +250 °C
- Long-term testing with use of media
Impact bending test (DIN EN ISO 179 u. 180)
- 0-5 J; 2,93 m impact velocity
- 0-50 J; 3,85 m impact velocity
Impact tensile test (DIN EN ISO 8256)
Drop pin test (DIN 53014)
- max. drop height 3 m, force and displacement measurement, different drop weights (no instrumentation)
Abrasion test (DIN 53754)
Ball indentation hardness (ISO 2039)
Shore hardness (Shore A, Shore D, DIN ISO 7619)
- Optical test methods
Component recording by means of a computer tomograph
- Detection of voids, defects etc.
- Determination of fiber orientation in fiber-reinforced plastics
- Determination of porosity in foamed or additively manufactured components
Microscopic examinations (digital microscope)
- Transmitted and reflected light methods
- polarized light
- heated sample table
- particle size measurement
- image analysis
- photo and video recording
- non-contact inspection of surface condition (laser microscope)
color measurements (Minolta colorimeter)
measuring device for samples up to 20x30 mm
gloss measurement, stress optics, refractive index determination
Remission and transmission curves (DIN EN ISO 13468)
- 380-780 nm
Contact angle measurement (DIN 55660)
Fiber length distribution (with high resolution scanner)
- incl. annealing residue
Infrared spectroscopy (FTIR via ATR)
- Thermal test methods
Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) (DIN EN ISO 11357)
- Heat conversion, crystallinity, crystallite melting range
- glass transition temperature, oxidation stability, reaction kinetic data
- specific heat
Thermomechanical analysis (TMA) (ISO 11359)
- Change in length under dynamic or static load
- Tensile test dynamic or static
Thermogravimetric analysis (TGA) (DIN EN ISO 11358)
- Weight changes and reaction kinetic data at constant or increasing temperature
Determination of temperature and thermal conductivity of solids and melts (DIN EN ISO 22007-1 / DIN EN 821-2)
Vicat softening temperature (DIN EN ISO 306)
HDT heat deflection temperature (DIN EN ISO 75)
- DIN 75200, UL94 (V0, V1, V2, HB40, HB75, VTM0, VTM1, VTM2, 5VA, 5VB)
Residue on ignition (DIN EN ISO 3451)
- Rheological test methods
Mass and volume melt flow index (MFR / MVR) (DIN EN ISO 1133)
Spiral flow test
Viscosity determination on high pressure capillary rheometer (DIN 53014)
Determination of solution viscosity (PET, PA, PBT, PC)
Viscosity determination for rubber compounds on the online extrusion rheometer
Recording of a vulcameter curve for rubber compounds on the Rubber ProcessAnalyser (RPA)
Determination of dynamic parameters for rubber compounds (storage and loss modulus)
Florian Brüning, M. Sc.
Plastics Technology and Plastics Processing